Need help finding the right tutor?

When do you want to start?
What is your name?
What is your zip code?
What is your email address?
What is your phone number?
Have you received tutoring before?

Thanks! You'll be called typically within 24 hours by the tutor or company you contacted.

Featured By
Katherine tutors in Lubbock, TX

Katherine S.

Private tutor in Lubbock, TX

Education

Ph.D. Environmental Toxicology Texas Tech University (In progress) M.S. Marine Affairs and Policy 2013 University of Miami, Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science B.S. Aquatic Biology, Honors 2009 University of California, Santa Barbara

Experience

I have over five years of experience tutoring in all subjects, but specialize in math and science. Science subjects I specialize in include: biology, chemistry, ecology, zoology, and physical sciences. Math subjects include: prealgebra, algebra 1, algebra 2, and precalculus. I have helped many students improve their homework and test scores. I have experience tutoring students in middle school, high school, and college. I understand that math and science are not everyone's favorite subjects- which is why I work so hard to break them down into easy to understand pieces so students can succeed and feel good! My teaching style focuses on the fact that there is more than one way to learn, and I tailor my lessons to each student's needs and learning style. Teachers in classrooms have to explain math concepts in a way that 90% of students can understand. I am here to help the other 10% by explaining the subject in as many ways as needed until the student understands. Every persons’ mind works in a different way- and it is my job to discover your child’s thought processes and create an individualized explanation that works for them. I will teach and explain a concept multiple ways until I find a solution that makes sense to the child. My passion for learning is easily seen by my students and helps inspire them to learn more and do their best. I enjoy science and math, and love seeing my students learn to enjoy these subjects too. I tutor for that “light bulb moment”, when everything clicks into place and finally makes sense. I teach not only the core concepts needed to succeed on tests, but how to take notes, stay organized, and succeed in the future!

Availability

Weekdays at any time, Weekends at any time

Can Meet

Up to 20 minutes away for no additional charge

Hobbies

I am currently a PhD student at Texas Tech studying Environmental Toxicology, specifically the effects of heavy metals (lead, arsenic, etc) on Hawaiian Sea Turtles. I am a marine biologist with a passion for being outdoors, and imparting my love for the ocean and its organisms to others. When not working I enjoy reading, rock climbing, and spending time with my Shetland Sheepdog Jax.

Show More

Inquire About This Tutor

Thanks!

Most tutors respond within 48 hours.

Feel free to contact other tutors while you wait.

If this is your first request, please check your email (including your spam folder) to finish setting up your account!